Wine Blog Tasting #6 - Donatella Cinelli Colombini Brunello di Montalcino
Sunday, March 3, 2024
Variety: 100% Sangiovese
Region: Brunello di Monalcino, Tuscany
Country: Italy
Year: 2016
Price: About $70-$85
Expert Review: Bohemian and noble in the primary profile dispensing notes of geraniums, red prunes, salted caramel, iodine and marjoram. In the background the ‘pisto Napoletano’ gives a spicy richness alternating between cinnamon and nutmeg. Medium bodied, lightly extracted soft tannins and a finale of pleasant closing. Better from 2021.
Wine Folly: pg 162 -163, this wine is a Brunello di Monalcino meaning that is has been aged for 2 years in oak, and 3 additional years after that. I get the spiciness, red fruits, and plum.
My Review: I decided to open this bottle to celebrate spring break and my trip to Anguilla tomorrow. Absolute stunner of a wine. I decanted it for about 30 minutes before trying it and it was fantastic. Earthy notes, with hints of red fruit and tobacco. Notes of spiciness and tanins, yet still balanced and complex. Smooth delicious finish.
I tasted this with some of my mom's Beef Borguignon and it was absolutely fantastic.
Comments
Post a Comment