Wine Dinner Blog #2

 

For my birthday dinner I decided to have a little bbq with my roommates and some of our other friends. We grilled some ribeyes, fried some crab cakes, and made a caesar salad and some fries to accompany them. 

To accompany the ribeye I chose a 2020 Alto Moncayo Veraton, which is a Grenache. Per pg. 61 in Wine Folly I chose a med/full-bodied red wine. I thought it paired very well. The high-intensity and dryness of the Grenache paired well with the smokineses and fatiness of the ribeye. The higher alcohol content (14.5%) also paired well with the steak, as the warm mouthfeel was complemented by the char of the steak.

To accompany the crabcake I chose a Henri Bourgeois Sancerre d'antan 2019, which is a Sauvignon Blanc. Per pg 60 and 61 in Wine Folly I chose a light-bodied white wine to pair with the buttery shellfish flavors of the crabcake. The citrus/grapefruit, buttery, minerally, sharp flavors of the Sancerre completed the                                                                        buttery flavors and crumbly texture of the crabcake.

Finally for Desert I paired a pint of Ben and Jerry's Chubby Hubby with a Le Mont Domaine Huet Vouvray Moelleux 2018, which is a Loire Chenin Blanc Dessert wine. The spices and beeswax/honey flavors of the wine paired beautifully with the malt vanilla and pretzels in the Chubby Hubby ice cream. The lime and pear did a lot to accentuate the sweetness of the vanilla ice cream. 

Overall it was a fantastic meal and I thought the wines I chose complemented the dishes well.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wine Tasting Blog #9 - Ogio Prosecco

Wine Blog Tasting #5 - Castello Banfi Bell'Agio Chianti

Wine Tasting Blog #12 - Domaine De Chevalier Pessac-Léognan (Grand Cru Classé de Graves)