Wine Tasting Blog #11 - Philippe Pacalet Monthelie

 Sunday, March 31 2024

Name: Philippe Pacalet Monthelie 1er Cru Clos Gauthey 

Variety: 100% Chardonnay 

Region: Monthelie AOC, Burgundy

Country: France 

Price: $86

Expert Review:

100% Chardonnay, 14 alcohol) A very nice nose comes out of the glass here, complex, multi-layered, lots of flowers, super floral, herbs, honey, tea, stone, rain-soaked street. Straightforward, clear and pure on the palate, what a delicacy, the 14% is not intrusive, no, it has freshness and elegance. Long finish. A hit.

Wine Folly: pg 96-97 Chardonnay - I get the vanilla, butter,  honeysuckle, and hints of flint. I didn't get any yellow apple or pineapple. I served it cold and didn't decant it. pg 224  Burgundy Chardonnay, I definitely got the richer oak flavors as well. 

My review: I thought this wine was absolutely fantastic, paired with some parrano cheese and crackers. I saw this wine on the Quebec episode of Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown and knew I had to have it. No wine shops in the U.S carried it, so I had to order it directly from France through this small wine shop 'L'Enseigne du Bordeaux.' This wine without a doubt shattered my expectations. I love chardonnay and this was excellent. Dry and crisp with nice acidity, strong oak flavors as well as honey and a floral aftertaste. Perfection. Perfect wine for Easter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wine Tasting Blog #9 - Ogio Prosecco

Wine Blog Tasting #5 - Castello Banfi Bell'Agio Chianti

Wine Tasting Blog #12 - Domaine De Chevalier Pessac-Léognan (Grand Cru Classé de Graves)